Dior in the Tuileries, Paris, 2010

The other day we were in the right place at the right time and enjoyed watching guests arriving for the Dior extravaganza in the Tuileries. First sign of anything about to happen was the launch of yellow and pink balloons from the end of the Monet Pavilion.

The balloons were a welcome relief from the grey skies. Then we saw a fast-moving throng of paparazzi and discovered they were circling around Madonna. We could not see her face but her blonde hair from the back, but never mind we sat across from her in a London restaurant a couple of years back!This woman is in the slide show but here is a close up – note her necklace.

As we walked away toward the Concorde entrance we realised that many more guests were coming from that direction and joined the rest of the crowd in snaring some photos and here is a selection. You will notice as we did that the real fashion statement is in the shoes, impossibly high of course and difficult to walk on a normal surface let alone the gravel in the Jardin des Tuileries and the cobbled streets of Paris.

Not sure about this choice of colour combinations.

The women were mostly dressed in elegant day clothes, lots of leg showing in short skirts or tight trousers. A few turned up in long flowing dresses to make sure they stood out.This woman’s concession to autumn weather was to make sure she had her elbow length gloves.

John in the striped scarf trying to get a close up of this girl posing for cameras whilst I was watching the real fashion celebrity Anna Piaggi with her low crutch trousers, shortish hems and pointy toe boots. As you can see her partner made no special effort.

Piaggi is a famous fashion identity who has been the editor of Italian Vogue for many years and I asked my friend Debra Kolka to send me her name as I could not remember it, I mostly buy design and food magazines but had seen her in the social pages of various magazines at the dentist/doctor!!

She is known for her outlandish outfits, over the top makeup and hat. I was surprised that she is so small. I think the walking stick is a trademark, am I right Debra?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About these ads

1. #1 by Barbara Paroissien on October 5, 2010 - 1:29 am

Hi Roz

I am still in Melbourne – but so enjoying your blogs on Paris – and what a coup to see the Dior fashion.

Our house is on the market but the garden is looking fabulous after all the rain, so crossing fingers it sells in a couple of weeks and I will return to Paris on 25th October. How long will you be there.

Barb Paroissien

• #2 by tastetravel on October 5, 2010 - 6:42 am

We will be back in Brisbane 16 Oct and then down to Tas for 4 months. will recommence Tas blog there. good luck with your house sale

2. #3 by mary D on October 5, 2010 - 4:39 am

Now this is a blog right up my alley!! How fabulous to be there & see all the fashionistas! Love the hat with eyes and her necklace. The long pink gown really draws attention! I have always been fascinated by Anna Piaggi – she often looks a little silly, but hey! that’s fashion, and we certainly notice her. A GREAT blog Roz!! Thank you.

• #4 by tastetravel on October 5, 2010 - 6:40 am

It was a moment and Mary if you were there in one of your fetching outfits you would have chased by photographers also.

3. #5 by louise martin-chew on October 5, 2010 - 7:29 am

Roz this is so colourful! Love the impromptu nature of the event, and the shots… only in Paris (perhaps)? louise

• #6 by tastetravel on October 5, 2010 - 7:40 am

I think I hit the subscribe button twice for you, sorry about that. Just sign up again on one email. Yes we thought it was fun to see this, we realise we could track down all the other shows too but then that would be like being a groupie, not our style. I thought it was a good way to see just what the well dressed and well heeled are wearing right now in Paris!

4. #7 by Debra Kolkka on October 5, 2010 - 1:20 pm

I love people like Anna Piaggi – the world would be so boring without them! I’m not sure about the walking stick.